Keeping in touch with people in the Northern region
Next meetings in 2023
- Friday 19 May – site visits hosted by Waipa District Council Book now!
- Wed 30 August – branch meeting hosted by MPDC
The site tours in Cambridge are now available to book, with the agenda and details online. Space is limited to 30, so book your space now!
Details of the August event will be published as soon as the agenda is available.
Keep an eye on the website and your in box for your invite.
Open to everyone
Our branch meetings are open to everyone, and we encourage IPWEA NZ members to bring colleagues along.
IPWEA NZ’s Northern Branch encompasses the following regional councils: Northland, Auckland, Waikato, and Bay of Plenty; as well as the area covered by the Ruapehu District Council, and the Taupo District Council. Click to see a map.
Cushla Anich, Director – Morrison Low
Cushla was appointed to the IPWEA NZ Board in June 2019.
Cushla is an experienced infrastructure manager and a chartered professional engineer.
In her role as Director at Consultancy Morrison Low, she provides strategic advice to clients in central and local government sectors in New Zealand and Australia across a diverse range of assets. She enjoys helping clients build their internal asset management capability.
Cushla’s recent experience includes strategic practice reviews, infrastructural health checks, asset management improvement programmes, and procurement advice. She is a recognised strategic manager in the water industry.
E: Cushla Anich
Branch meetings are like free mini-conferences
for people in Asset Management
Site visits at Waipa District – Award winning pool and tour of a historic bridge
There was a great line up of speakers at this meeting. Our theme was separating the signal from the noise, and this carried on throughout the day.
Stormwater, Transport Data, Bridges & More!
Last week we had the pleasure of attending the IPWEA NZ Northern Branch Meeting, hosted at Hamilton City Council in Hamilton. We were joined by over 50 of our Northern Branch Members and their colleagues for this half day of presentations and networking!
Upcoming local events
Ideas and suggestions?
If there is a topic you’d like to hear more on or to present on, please contact Cushla Anich Branch Chair on: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Feature presentations of note are available on the links below.
12 August 2021 – Successful Sustainability
17 October 2020 – Climate Change Breakfast Panel Discussion
These meetings are a free mini-conference!
Share this learning opportunity with younger team members, and let’s build the next generation of public works professionals.
Bring them along to meet new contacts and network, learn from expert speakers, and present at future sessions.
Previous branch meeting presentations
On 3 November 2022, the Northern Branch hosted an evening networking event focusing on Fresh Water Management and the Water Sensitive Cities Model. Find the full agenda here and the presentation on Water Sensitive Cities below:
- Water Sensitive Cities, Caleb Clarke, Morphum Environmental
On 25 August 2022 the Northern Branch hosted its second branch meeting for 2022. The meeting was hosted in at Hamilton City Council in Hamilton. Thank you to Hamilton City Council for hosting us, and to Beca and EnviroNZ for sponsoring the event. Click here for agenda and presentations and video links are available below.
- IPWEA NZ Update – Cushla Anich, Chair, Morrison Low
- Construction Waste – Kristy Quickfall, HCC
- Smart Transport Operations and Data Led Approach – Dale Townsend, HCC
- Stormwater Spatial Tool – Andrea Phillips, HCC
- Te Pahu Bridge Pier Stabilisation Project – Paul Strange, Waipa District Council
- Three Waters Reform – Emily Botje, NTU
On 11 March 2022 the Northern Branch hosted its first branch meeting for 2022. Whilst the meeting was held online due to COVID-19 regulations, it was a fantastic opportunity to share knowledge and catch up. Thank you to all our presenters, Waikato District Council and everyone who attended. Presentations are available below, as well as a link to the video presentations.
- The need for Infrastructure Adaptation at the Coast, Amon Martin, Thames Coromandel District Council
- IPWEA NZ Update, Cushla Anich, Morrison Low
- Debs Diversity Download, Dr Deb Lind, AECOM
- Phil’s Climate Change Corner, Phil Johansen, Auckland Council
- Inspiring Leadership, Tipa Mahuta, Waikato Regional Councillor
- Huntly Rail Platform Presentation, Reuben Rink, Waikato District Council
- Watercare and Waikato District Council Contract, Keith Martin and Carole Nutt, Waikato District Council
- Digital Asset Management Plans – the new frontier, Rob Ashley, Waikato District Council
There was a great turnout for our industry branch meeting on 3 March 2021. We had to think quick on Sunday morning in response to the Government’s latest lockdown restrictions, so we moved our Tokoroa meeting hosted by South Waikato District Council to an online virtual session by Monday lunchtime.
- South Waikato – Space to Grow – Ben Smit, CE, South Waikato District Council
- Deb’s Diversity Download – Dr Deborah Lind, AECOM
- IPWEA’s new CE – Murray Pugh (by Zoom)
- New freedom camping infrastructure – Shaun Hamilton, GHD
- New Tokoroa Refuse Transfer Station – Ejas Nazar, South Waikato District Council
- Recovering from overflow events Lake Taupo – Ian Gray, WSP
- Tokoroa Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrade – Paul White, South Waikato DC
- Industry update on Taumata Arowai – Bill Bayfield, Establishment CEO (by Zoom)
No presentations from 2020.